Top 8 Best Toners for Acne
UpdatedSeptember 25, 2023
Acne is a common skin condition that affects millions of people worldwide. While there are many products on the market that claim to treat acne, toners are an essential part of any skincare routine. Toners help to balance the skin's pH, remove excess oil, and unclog pores, making them an effective tool in the fight against acne.
When it comes to finding the best toner for acne, there are a few critical things to consider. Firstly, you want to look for a toner that contains ingredients that are known to be effective in treating acne, such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or tea tree oil. Secondly, you want to ensure that the toner is suitable for your skin type, whether it's oily, dry, or sensitive. Finally, you want to choose a toner that is free from harsh chemicals and fragrances that can irritate the skin.
Top 3 Best Toners for Acne
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution Acne Toner
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Triple-Action Toner
- Peach Slices Acne Exfoliating Toner
We understand how frustrating it can be to deal with acne-prone skin. That's why we've researched and tested various toners to bring you the best options for tackling acne. Our list includes toners that are formulated with ingredients such as salicylic acid, witch hazel, and tea tree oil to help unclog pores, reduce inflammation, and prevent breakouts. Check out our top picks below.
The Editor's Choice
Experience smoother, clearer skin with La Roche-Posay's Effaclar Acne Toner. Unclog pores and banish blemishes for a refreshed complexion. While it can be a touch drying, it's a game-changer for acne-prone skin. Try it now for a radiant transformation.
If you're looking for a toner that can help with acne, we highly recommend the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution Acne Toner. It's a gentle exfoliant that can help unclog pores and remove dead skin cells, leaving your skin smooth and refreshed.
- The toner is oil-free and suitable for oily, acne-prone, and sensitive skin.
- The combination of salicylic acid and glycolic acid in the toner helps to refine pores and reduce the appearance of blemishes.
- The toner is easy to use and can be applied with a cotton pad.
- Some users have reported that the toner can be drying, so it's important to use a moisturizer after applying it.
- The toner has a strong smell that some users may find unpleasant.
- It may take some time to see results, so patience is key when using this product.
We've been using the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution Acne Toner for a few weeks now, and we're impressed with the results. Our skin feels smoother and looks clearer, and we've noticed a reduction in the appearance of blemishes. The toner is easy to use and doesn't leave any residue on the skin. However, we did find that it can be a bit drying, so we make sure to use a moisturizer after applying it.
Overall, if you're looking for a toner that can help with acne and refine pores, we highly recommend giving the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution Acne Toner a try.
If you're looking for a toner that will help prevent and treat acne while soothing your skin, Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Triple-Action Toner is a great option.
- Salicylic acid treats and helps prevent acne
- Helps eliminate oil and shine
- Contains green tea and cucumber to actively reduce redness and irritation
- May cause dryness or peeling if used too frequently
- Some users report stinging when applied to open or popped pimples
- Packaging may not be adequate for transit
We've used this toner and found that it works well to prevent and treat acne, especially when used in conjunction with other products in the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control line. The salicylic acid helps to unclog pores and prevent breakouts, while the green tea and cucumber extracts soothe and reduce redness.
One thing to keep in mind is that this toner can be drying if used too frequently, so it's important to start with one application daily and gradually increase to two or three times daily if needed. Some users also report stinging when applied to open or popped pimples.
Overall, we recommend Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Triple-Action Toner for anyone looking for a toner that will help prevent and treat acne while soothing and reducing redness.
We highly recommend purchasing Peach Slices Acne Exfoliating Toner because it's a gentle yet effective acne toner that helps tone, exfoliate and balance skin’s natural oils for skin that's visibly clear, smooth, and calm. It leaves your skin hydrated, which is essential for healthy skin!
- The rapid-action 2% salicylic acid formula helps to clear and prevent breakouts.
- It clarifies stubborn pores with glycolic acid and lactic acid while cica and allantoin help soothe and reduce signs of redness.
- It's a clean formula that is sulfate-free, alcohol-free, fragrance-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, vegan, cruelty-free, and Leaping Bunny certified.
- It may not work for everyone.
- It may take some time to see results.
- It may be a bit pricey for some.
We've used Peach Slices Acne Exfoliating Toner and have seen a significant improvement in our skin. The 2% salicylic acid formula is gentle and effectively clears and prevents breakouts. The glycolic acid and lactic acid work together to clarify and refine pores, while cica and allantoin soothe and reduce signs of redness. We also appreciate that it's a clean formula that's free of harmful ingredients.
We recommend using Peach Slices Acne Exfoliating Toner as Step 2 in your daily face wash routine. Start with the Acne Clarifying Cleaner, move to the Acne Exfoliating Toner, and finish with the Acne Oil-Free Moisturizer. Follow this daily routine for beautiful, clear, and confident skin. Overall, we highly recommend this toner for anyone looking for a gentle and effective solution to acne-prone skin.
If you're looking for a toner that can help with acne, sebum, and oiliness, the SOME BY MI AHA BHA PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner is a great option to consider. We've been using it for a while now and have seen some positive changes in our skin.
- The high-content (10,000 ppm) tea tree water extract helps to improve trouble skin quickly and mildly.
- The AHA/BHA/PHA & Papaya extract & Witch Hazel extract help to remove dead skin and body wastes.
- It's gentle enough for sensitive skin and includes patented ingredients P-PEFINYL (sebum controlling component) and FRUCTAN (moisturizing).
- The tea tree scent may not be for everyone.
- It may take longer than 30 days to see significant results.
- It may not work for everyone, as everyone's skin is different.
The SOME BY MI AHA BHA PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner includes key ingredients like AHA, BHA, and PHA to refine dead skin cells and impurities. It's also free of 20 harmful ingredients and has passed irritation tests for sensitive skin. We've noticed that our skin feels smoother and looks brighter after using this toner for a while.
The Miracle Line from SOME BY MI is suitable for acne-prone skin, containing high amounts of Tea Tree Leaf to improve the skin. Truecica, an exclusive calming agent, maintains healthy-looking skin and prevents acne-breakout through pH balance care. We appreciate that SOME BY MI makes products with proven efficacy only by undergoing strict testing from the planning & developing stages to product launch, in collaboration with various dermatology experts.
Overall, we would recommend the SOME BY MI AHA BHA PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner to anyone looking for a toner to help with acne, sebum, and oiliness. It's a great addition to any skincare routine that can help improve the overall texture and appearance of your skin.
We highly recommend Differin Witch Hazel Toner for Face for those with acne-prone skin. This alcohol-free toner is gentle enough for daily use, morning and night. It works to reduce excess surface oil and pore-clogging impurities, all while minimizing the appearance of pores.
- Maintains skin's natural moisture
- Reduces pore-clogging impurities
- Soothes and conditions the skin
- Packaging could be improved
- May not work for everyone
- Contains fragrance
After using this toner, we noticed a significant reduction in the appearance of our pores and a decrease in excess oil. The witch hazel, vitamin B, rosehip extract, and aloe all work together to condition the skin without stripping its natural moisture. Plus, the chamomile helps to soothe the skin and reduce any irritation.
We found that this toner worked best when used after cleansing and before applying Differin Gel and moisturizers. It's suitable for all skin types and is dermatologist-tested, paraben-free, and non-comedogenic.
Overall, we think Differin Witch Hazel Toner for Face is a great addition to any skincare regimen for those with acne-prone skin. It's affordable, effective, and gentle enough for daily use.
If you're looking for a toner that can help balance your skin's pH and keep pores from clogging, then the Proactiv Hydrating Facial Toner might be just what you need.
- This alcohol-free toner is gentle on sensitive skin and won't dry it out.
- The toner contains glycolic acid, which helps to exfoliate dead skin cells and reveal brighter, healthier-looking skin.
- Botanical extracts like aloe, chamomile, allantoin, witch hazel, and panthenol (vitamin B complex) help to soothe and hydrate the skin.
- Some users have reported that the toner can be a bit sticky or tacky after application.
- The toner might not be strong enough to completely eliminate acne on its own.
- The toner has a somewhat strong smell that might not be to everyone's liking.
In our experience, the Proactiv Hydrating Facial Toner is a great choice for those with sensitive skin who are looking for a toner that can help keep their pores clear and their skin looking healthy. The alcohol-free formula is gentle and won't dry out your skin, and the glycolic acid helps to exfoliate away dead skin cells for a brighter, more even complexion. The botanical extracts also provide a soothing and hydrating effect, which is especially beneficial for those with dry or sensitive skin.
That being said, the toner might not be strong enough to completely eliminate acne on its own, and some users have reported that it can leave a slightly sticky or tacky feeling on the skin after application. Additionally, the toner has a somewhat strong smell that might not be to everyone's liking.
Overall, we would recommend the Proactiv Hydrating Facial Toner for those with sensitive skin who are looking for a gentle, effective toner that can help keep their skin looking healthy and clear.
If you're looking for a toner that can help reduce breakouts and fade post-acne marks quickly, we recommend trying Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-in-1 Fight & Fade Acne Toner.
- Reduces breakouts in just hours
- Helps fade the look of post-acne marks
- Clinically proven to reduce pimple size, swelling, and redness in under eight hours
- May be drying for some skin types
- Strong alcohol smell
- May cause irritation if applied to broken skin
We've been using this toner for a while and have seen a noticeable improvement in our skin's texture and clarity. The formula is refreshing and clean, with a citrus scent that we enjoy. We appreciate that it contains maximum strength salicylic acid acne treatment and Micro-Clear Technology to target breakouts at the source.
One thing to note is that this toner can be drying, especially if you have dry or sensitive skin. We recommend using a moisturizer afterwards to prevent any tightness or discomfort. Additionally, the alcohol smell can be strong and may not be pleasant for everyone.
Overall, we think Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-in-1 Fight & Fade Acne Toner is a great option for those looking for a toner that can help combat breakouts and fade post-acne marks quickly. Just be sure to use it as directed and follow up with a moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated.
If you're looking for a toner that can help eliminate impurities, balance the skin’s pH, and keep shine at bay, then the AcneFree Witch Hazel Mattifying Toner with Glycolic Acid might be the right choice for you.
- This toner is formulated with a high concentration of witch hazel to give your skin a refreshing, re-balancing, mattifying boost.
- The glycolic acid and soothing aloe vera in this toner help remove any excess oil, dirt, and debris your cleanser may have missed.
- AcneFree offers a full line of treatment kits, cleansers, moisturizers, detox masks, scrubs, creams, toners, and other targeted solutions for sensitive, oily, and acne-prone skin.
- The scent of this toner is overpowering and might give some people headaches.
- This toner seems to have a funny fragrance that the original toner that comes with the 3-pack set doesn't have, and it can be a little sticky.
- This item is not eligible for international shipping.
Overall, we think the AcneFree Witch Hazel Mattifying Toner with Glycolic Acid is a good choice for those with oily and acne-prone skin. It's a cleansing formula that features exfoliating glycolic acid and soothing aloe vera to remove any excess oil, dirt, and debris your cleanser may have missed. Just one swipe of this toner helps eliminate impurities, balance the skin’s pH, and keep shine at bay.
The toner is dermatologist recommended and offers hydration, soothing, detoxifying, and mattifying benefits to help ensure your skin looks and feels healthy and maintain your skin’s balance with consistent use. The natural astringent witch hazel in this toner gives your skin a refreshing, re-balancing, mattifying boost, which is ideal for avoiding shine without over-drying and featuring a fresh, clean, matte complexion.
If you're looking for a toner that can help balance your skin's oiliness and face breakouts, then we highly recommend the AcneFree Witch Hazel Mattifying Toner with Glycolic Acid.
When shopping for the best toner for acne, it's important to consider a variety of factors to ensure that you choose a product that will effectively treat your skin concerns. Here are some key features to look for when selecting an acne toner:
The first thing to consider when choosing an acne toner is the ingredients it contains. Look for products that contain active ingredients like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, or tea tree oil. These ingredients are known to help unclog pores, reduce inflammation, and kill acne-causing bacteria.
It's also important to consider your skin type when selecting an acne toner. If you have dry or sensitive skin, look for a product that is gentle and free from harsh ingredients like alcohol. If you have oily skin, consider a toner that contains ingredients like witch hazel or clay to help absorb excess oil.
The pH level of a toner is another important factor to consider. Look for a product with a pH level between 4 and 5.5 to ensure that it is gentle enough for daily use and won't disrupt your skin's natural pH balance.
Consider the application method of the toner as well. Some toners are applied with a cotton pad, while others are sprayed directly onto the face. Choose a method that works best for your skin type and personal preferences.
Lastly, consider the price of the toner. While it's important to invest in a quality product, there are many affordable options available that can effectively treat acne-prone skin. Look for a product that fits within your budget and meets all of your other requirements.
By considering these key features, you can select a toner that will effectively treat your acne while also being gentle and nourishing for your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
What toner is best for acne prone skin in summer?
In summer, it is best to choose a toner that is lightweight and non-greasy. Look for toners that contain salicylic acid or tea tree oil, which can help reduce oil production and prevent breakouts.
What toner is good for acne prone skin?
Toners that contain ingredients like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or benzoyl peroxide can be effective for acne-prone skin. These ingredients can help unclog pores, reduce inflammation, and prevent breakouts.
Are toners good for acne?
Yes, toners can be beneficial for acne-prone skin. They can help remove excess oil and impurities from the skin, unclog pores, and balance the skin's pH levels. However, it is important to choose a toner that is specifically formulated for acne-prone skin and does not contain harsh or irritating ingredients.
What toner do dermatologists recommend?
Dermatologists may recommend toners that contain salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or benzoyl peroxide for acne-prone skin. They may also recommend toners that contain soothing ingredients like aloe vera or chamomile to help calm inflamed skin.
What are some affordable toners for acne-prone skin?
There are many affordable toners available for acne-prone skin. Look for drugstore brands that contain salicylic acid or witch hazel, which can help reduce oil production and prevent breakouts. Some popular options include Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Toner and Thayers Witch Hazel Toner.
What is the best toner for blackheads?
Toners that contain salicylic acid or glycolic acid can be effective for treating blackheads. These ingredients can help unclog pores and exfoliate the skin. Some popular options include Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant and The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution.
The links provided may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you if you choose to purchase the recommended product. This support allows our research and editorial team to continue providing high-quality recommendations. As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising initiative, we are able to earn advertising fees through providing links to products on Amazon.com. Please rest assured that we only recommend high-quality products.