- Your Pain in the Outside of the Thigh May Also be Known as:
- Aches and pains in side of thigh
- Painful side of thigh
- Side of thigh ache
- Side of thigh discomfort
- Side of thigh hurts
- Side of thigh pain
- Side of thigh soreness
- Sore side of thigh
Top 2 Pain in the Outside of the Thigh Causes
1.Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
Greater trochanteric pain syndrome is a common cause of hip pain caused by damage to the tendons and/or bursa (fluid-filled sac near a joint) at the outside point of the hip known as the greater trochanter.
You should visit your primary care physician if your pain interferes with your normal day-to-day activities or you are not finding relief. However, most cases improve without any treatment over a few weeks.
- Top Symptoms:
- lower back pain, pain in the outside of the hip, moderate hip pain, groin pain, limping
- Symptoms that always occur with greater trochanteric pain syndrome:
- pain in the outside of the hip
- Primary care doctor
Pain in the Outside of the Thigh Checker
Take a quiz to find out why you’re having pain in the outside of the thigh.Take a quiz
2.Hip Bone Damage (Osteonecrosis)
Osteonecrosis of the hip is painful, progressive damage of the hip joint caused by a loss of blood flow.
Hip/groin/thigh pain that affects your hip motion should be assessed for osteonecrosis as soon as possible (ER), where imaging via MRI (and rarely, X-rays) might visualize the injury. Treatment depends on the severity of the disease, and includes everything from physical therapy to medications to improve bone strength to surgery to take out dead bone.
- Top Symptoms:
- limping, severe or worsening pain in the hip or groin area, thigh pain, pain in one knee, deep, throbbing hip pain
- Symptoms that always occur with hip bone damage (osteonecrosis):
- severe or worsening pain in the hip or groin area
- Hospital emergency room
Questions Your Doctor May Ask About Pain in the Outside of the Thigh
- Q.Is your upper leg pain getting better or worse?
- Q.How severe is your upper leg pain?
- Q.How long has your upper leg pain been going on?
- Q.Is your upper leg pain constant or come-and-go?
If you've answered yes to one or more of these questions, check our pain in the outside of the thigh symptom checker.Take a quiz
Pain in the Outside of the Thigh Symptom Checker Statistics
People who have experienced pain in the outside of the thigh have also experienced:
- 9% Headache
- 9% Nausea
- 4% Side Pain
People who have experienced pain in the outside of the thigh had symptoms persist for:
- 32% Over a Month
- 27% Less Than a Week
- 24% Less Than a Day
People who have experienced pain in the outside of the thigh were most often matched with:
- 10% Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
Source: Aggregated and anonymized results from visits to the Buoy AI health assistant (check it out by clicking on “Take Quiz”).