- Your Pain in the Thumb Side of the Elbow May Also be Known as:
- Aches and pains in my thumb side of elbow
- Painful thumb side of elbow
- Sore thumb side of elbow
- Thumb side of elbow ache
- Thumb side of elbow discomfort
- Thumb side of elbow hurts
- Thumb side of elbow pain
- Thumb side of elbow soreness
Top 2 Pain in the Thumb Side of the Elbow Causes
1.Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
Lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) is soreness or pain on the outside of the upper arm near the elbow.
You can safely treat this condition on your own by resting your arm for 2-3 weeks and avoid the activity that causes your symptoms. You may also put ice on the outside of your elbow 2-3 times a day and take a pain reliever, such as ibuprofen (Advil), naproxen (Aleve) or aspirin, as needed. Contact your physician if home treatment does not relieve the pain.
- Top Symptoms:
- elbow pain, pain in one elbow, hand weakness, pain in the thumb side of the elbow, elbow pain from overuse
- Symptoms that always occur with tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis):
- elbow pain
Check my pain in the thumb side of the elbow symptoms
Take a quiz to find out why you’re having pain in the thumb side of the elbow symptomsCheck my symptoms
At joints where bones meet, bones are covered with a layer of cartilage which provides shock absorbance and lubrication. Osteochondritis dissecans is a condition where a piece of cartilage with a thin layer of bone detach from the larger bone, causing pain.
You should visit your primary care physician. Conservative therapy is first considered, such as resting the joint, and physical therapy. Surgery is performed if the conservative treatment fails.
- Top Symptoms:
- pain in one knee, knee pain that gets worse during a run, knee stiffness, knee instability, spontaneous knee pain
- Primary care doctor
Questions Your Doctor May Ask About Pain in the Thumb Side of the Elbow
- Q.How long has your elbow pain been going on?
- Q.Is your elbow pain constant or come-and-go?
- Q.How would you explain the cause of your elbow pain?
- Q.How long has your shoulder pain been going on?
If you've answered yes to one or more of these questions, check our pain in the thumb side of the elbow symptom checker.Check my symptoms
Pain in the Thumb Side of the Elbow Symptom Checker Statistics
People who have experienced pain in the thumb side of the elbow have also experienced:
- 25% Pain in One Shoulder
- 12% Pain in the Top of the Foot
- 12% Joint Stiffness
People who have experienced pain in the thumb side of the elbow had symptoms persist for:
- 44% Over a Month
- 18% Less Than a Week
- 16% Less Than a Day
People who have experienced pain in the thumb side of the elbow were most often matched with:
- 37% Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)