Thumb Pain Symptoms
Texting. Where would we be without it? Long gone are the days of picking up the phone and giving a friend or family member a call. This technology can suddenly become an inconvenience when thumb pain strikes. Thumb pain symptoms can make every day activities difficult. It can be nearly impossible to grip onto anything, including door knobs, the steering wheel, and your morning cup of coffee.
If you're experiencing thumb pain symptoms, are you also experiencing any of the following symptoms?
- Localized pain in the thumb joint
- Difficulty gripping
- Increased difficulty completing once simple tasks
There are a variety of reasons that could be behind your thumb pain symptoms. Whether it's arthritis, an infection, or carpal tunnel syndrome, finding the root cause of your discomfort is the first step towards finding relief.
Thumb Pain Causes Overview
Thumb pain doesn't have to get in the way of your daily activities. Though it may take time and a bit of detective work, finding the cause behind your discomfort isn't as difficult as you might think.
- Accident: Hitting your thumb with a hammer or jamming it in a doorway are just two ways you can injure your thumb. Unless you suspect a broken bone or have unstoppable bleeding, resting the thumb is your best course of treatment.
- Overuse: Using any part of the body more than usual can lead to muscle strain and soreness. Texting, playing video games, or mixing up a few extra batches of your grandma's famous chocolate chip cookies can lead to temporary strain and soreness.
- Broken bone: There are several types of bone fractures that can cause thumb pain symptoms. All have different treatments and will need a proper medical diagnosis.
- Septic arthritis: While uncommon, an infection of the thumb joint warrants swift medical attention. Antibiotics are almost always used and, in severe cases, drainage is required to prevent permanent joint damage.
- Tendon sheath infection: Tendons connect muscles to bones and help control specific movements. A sheath protects a tendon. If the sheath in your thumb becomes infected, movement will be painful, and your grip will weaken.
Conditions and diseases:
- Arthritis: There are several different forms of arthritis but one that affects the hands the most is osteoarthritis. As cartilage breaks down, bones begin to rub on other bones. This decreases grip strength and hinders your normal range of motion.
There are several factors that can increase your risk of thumb arthritis which include:
- Being female
- Being over 40 years old
- Being overweight
- Having malformed joints or joint deformities
- Repetitive injuries to your thumb
- Excessive use and stress on thumb joint
2 Potential Thumb Pain Causes
Disclaimer: The article does not replace an evaluation by a physician. Information on this page is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes.
1.De Quervain's Tenosynovitis
De Quervain's tenosynovitis is a painful condition affecting the tendons on the thumb side of the wrist. If you have de Quervain's tenosynovitis, you will feel pain upon turning your wrist, grasping anything, or making a fist.
4-6 weeks with treatment
- Top Symptoms:
- hand numbness, thumb pain, hand weakness, weakness in one hand, numbness in one hand
- Symptoms that always occur with de quervain's tenosynovitis:
- thumb pain
- Primary care doctor
Thumb Pain Checker
Take a quiz to find out why you’re having thumb pain.Take a quiz
2.Normal Thumb Pain
Thumb pain can be caused by a host of things, but is often idiopathic (without cause).
- Top Symptoms:
- thumb pain
- Symptoms that always occur with normal thumb pain:
- thumb pain
Thumb Pain Treatments and Relief
There are a few symptoms you should look out for if your skin has recently changed.
Experiencing any of these listed symptoms warrants a trip to your doctor sooner than later.
- You have an open wound that won't stop bleeding
- There are visual signs of an infection
- The pain continues to worsen with time
- You can't move your thumb at all or it becomes numb
If you don't believe a trip to the doctor is necessary, there are ways to alleviate your thumb pain symptoms at home.
- OTC medications: To relieve swelling and thumb pain, over the counter pain medications can be used as directed. However, if you find yourself still needing the medication after the recommended time window, make an appointment with your doctor.
- Rest: Avoid using your thumb as much as possible. Use a splint if necessary.
- Essential oils: For arthritis related discomfort, many find relief with essential oils.
- Physical therapy: You can either practice your own physical therapy routine at home or seek professional assistance. Just make sure you have the approval of your doctor before starting a routine. Focus on a mixture of dexterity, strengthening, and range of motion exercises.
Get back to texting by eliminating thumb pain symptoms once and for all. While it may take a lifestyle change or two combined with routine treatment, you can live relatively pain-free once again.
FAQs About Thumb Pain
Here are some frequently asked questions about thumb pain.
Why does my thumb hurt from texting?
Texting can cause many types of pain. Pain at the ball of the thumb may be caused by repeated contact with buttons, especially if the buttons are small and require more force. Pain at the base of the thumb may be caused by inflammation of the tendon of the thumb from repeated use and stretching of the tendon. Long periods of use can also lead to cramps. These injuries all fit into the class of repetitive stress injuries.
How long does it take to recover from a sprained thumb?
This depends on what you do to help your thumb heal. A physician may recommend putting your thumb in a cast, splint, or bandage until it heals. It may take up to six weeks to heal. It is advisable to keep the splint on for the first three weeks and to perform strengthening exercises while alternating with the splint on. Follow your physician's advice if it differs.
What is trigger thumb?
Trigger thumb is a disorder where the connective tissue that encloses the tendon that allows the thumb to flex becomes thicker. This causes the thumb to occasionally stick in the flexed position in such a way that it must be unflexed using the opposing hand. While no cause has been firmly identified, it is associated with repetitive motion over time.
Can repetitive strain injury be avoided?
Yes, repetitive strain or stress injuries can be avoided. It either takes training in techniques such that stress will not lead to damaged joints or tendons, or a well-designed device that will not direct stress at portions of the body not designed to support said stress. Currently, the market for ergonomic devices designs items that help prevent repetitive stress injuries.
Why does my thumb hurt when I'm gripping?
Thumb pain while gripping can be caused by multiple injuries. The most common cause of thumb pain upon gripping is a simple thumb sprain. It involves overstretching or even partially tearing a thumb ligament. This pain manifests in stronger grips and may cause sharp pain when gripping.
Questions Your Doctor May Ask About Thumb Pain
- Q.Which of the following describes your physical fitness:
- Q.Does this hand movement cause you pain? (This is known as Finkelstein test.)
- Q.About your [wrist], do you notice:
- Q.Let's examine your thumb a bit. What makes your thumb hurt worse?
If you've answered yes to one or more of these questions, try our thumb pain symptom checker to find out more.Take a quiz
Thumb Pain Symptom Checker Statistics
People who have experienced thumb pain have also experienced:
- 19% Swollen Thumb
- 6% Wrist Pain
- 4% Difficulty Moving the Thumb
People who have experienced thumb pain had symptoms persist for:
- 32% Less Than a Week
- 24% Over a Month
- 22% Less Than a Day
People who have experienced thumb pain were most often matched with:
- 42% Normal Thumb Pain
- 25% De Quervain's Tenosynovitis
Source: Aggregated and anonymized results from visits to the Buoy AI health assistant (check it out by clicking on “Take Quiz”).