Top 13 Best Prenatal Vitamins
UpdatedNovember 8, 2023
Prenatal vitamins are an essential part of a healthy pregnancy. They provide the necessary nutrients that a woman's body needs to support the growth and development of her baby. However, with so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to choose the best prenatal vitamin for your needs.
When considering which prenatal vitamin to purchase, it's crucial to pay attention to the ingredients. Look for a vitamin that contains folic acid, iron, calcium, and vitamin D. These nutrients are essential for a healthy pregnancy and can help prevent birth defects, anemia, and other complications.
Another critical factor to consider is the form of the vitamin. Prenatal vitamins come in various forms, including capsules, tablets, gummies, and liquids. Each form has its advantages and disadvantages, so it's essential to choose the one that works best for you.
We spent countless hours researching and testing ten different prenatal vitamins to identify the best options on the market. In the following sections, we'll share our top picks and provide a detailed breakdown of each one.
Top 3 Best Prenatal Vitamins
We know how important it is to maintain a healthy pregnancy, and one of the ways to do that is by taking prenatal vitamins. With so many options available, it can be difficult to choose the right one. That's why we've done the research and compiled a list of the best prenatal vitamins on the market. Our list includes options that are easy to swallow, have high levels of essential nutrients, and are affordable. Read on to find the perfect prenatal vitamin for you and your baby.
Impressed with Ritual Prenatal: Methylated Folate from Italy, Omega-3 DHA from Nova Scotia boost brain and heart health. Vegan, sugar-free, and innovative capsule tech for max absorption. Minty freshness but citrus scent not for sensitive stomachs. A top choice for quality-conscious expectant moms.
We highly recommend the Ritual Prenatal Vitamins for expecting mothers. Ritual Prenatal Vitamins are third-party tested for quality and purity and is Clean Label Project certified.
- Made with high-quality ingredients
- Non-GMO Project Verified, vegan, gluten and major allergen free
- No artificial colorants
- Third-party tested for quality and purity
- May cause nausea for some users
- Strong citrus scent may be unpleasant for some
We were impressed with the quality and formulation of the Ritual Prenatal multivitamins. The active, methylated Folate from Italy and Omega-3 DHA from microalgae from Nova Scotia provide excellent brain and heart support for both mother and baby. Additionally, the inclusion of Choline from Missouri and gentle, chelated Iron from Utah make this formula well-rounded and effective.
We appreciate that the Ritual Prenatal multivitamins are vegan, sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, and formulated without stevia, sugar alcohols, and artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. The innovative nested capsule technology also ensures that fat-soluble and water-soluble forms are separated within a single capsule, allowing for optimal absorption of key nutrients.
Ritual prenatal multivitamins also feature a mint or citrus essence which many users find more pleasant when taking on an empty stomach. That said, the strong citrus scent may not be suitable for those with food aversions or nausea.
Overall, we highly recommend the Ritual Prenatal Vitamins for expecting mothers who want a high-quality, well-rounded prenatal vitamin.
For expectant mothers in search of a comprehensive prenatal supplement, EstroCare PreNatal stands as a compelling option.
- Tailored for the unique needs of expectant mothers, EstroCare PreNatal provides a carefully crafted blend of essential vitamins and minerals necessary for a healthy pregnancy.
- Offers strong support for the overall well-being of both mother and baby.
- Ensures easy absorption of nutrients, which is crucial during pregnancy.
- Some may find it relatively more expensive compared to basic multivitamins.
- It does contain ingredients derived from animal sources, which may not be suitable for those following a strict vegan diet.
Incorporating EstroCare PreNatal into your daily routine can make a significant difference during your journey to motherhood. The specialized formula, designed exclusively for expectant mothers, ensures that you and your baby receive the essential nutrients needed for a healthy pregnancy.
While the price point may be slightly higher than generic prenatal supplements, the investment in EstroCare PreNatal is an investment in the well-being of you and your growing baby.
It's important to note that, like many prenatal supplements, EstroCare PreNatal does contain some ingredients that are not vegan-friendly. If you adhere to a strict vegan diet, you may want to explore alternative options.
In conclusion, EstroCare PreNatal is a valuable choice for expectant mothers looking to provide the best possible start for their growing family. With its well-balanced formula and focus on easy nutrient absorption, it's a premium option that may be worth considering for the health and vitality of both you and your baby.
We highly recommend Actif Organic Prenatal Vitamin for expecting mothers who want a natural and organic option for their prenatal vitamins.
- Includes 25+ organic vitamins, DHA, EPA, Omega 3, and organic herbal blend
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
- Only one pill per day
- Large pill size may be difficult for some to swallow
- Some users reported nausea when taking on an empty stomach
- Higher price point compared to other prenatal vitamins
Actif Organic Prenatal Vitamin is a great choice for expecting mothers who want a natural and organic option for their prenatal vitamins. With a blend of 25+ organic vitamins, DHA, EPA, Omega 3, and an organic herbal blend, this prenatal vitamin provides all the necessary nutrients for a healthy pregnancy. Plus, it is non-GMO and gluten-free, making it a great option for those with dietary restrictions.
One of the best things about Actif Organic Prenatal Vitamin is that it only requires one pill per day, making it easy to incorporate into your daily routine. However, some users reported difficulty swallowing the large pill size, so keep that in mind if you have trouble with larger pills. Additionally, some users reported experiencing nausea when taking the vitamin on an empty stomach, so it may be best to take with food.
While Actif Organic Prenatal Vitamin is a bit pricier compared to other prenatal vitamins, we believe the quality and natural ingredients make it worth the investment for expecting mothers who want the best for themselves and their baby.
We highly recommend SmartyPants Prenatal Vitamins for women who are looking for a delicious and easy way to get all of the essential nutrients needed during pregnancy.
- The gummy form makes it easy and enjoyable to take vitamins daily.
- Contains 18 essential nutrients, including omega-3s, folate, vitamin D3, and vitamin K2.
- Non-GMO and free of common allergens.
- The serving size is four gummies per day, which may be too much for some people.
- The orange flavor may not be to everyone's liking.
- The texture of the gummies may vary between batches.
We were impressed with the quality of SmartyPants Prenatal Vitamins. The gummy form makes it easy to take daily, and the orange flavor is enjoyable. We appreciate that it contains 18 essential nutrients, including omega-3s, folate, vitamin D3, and vitamin K2. Additionally, it is non-GMO and free of common allergens, which is a plus for those with dietary restrictions.
One potential downside is that the serving size is four gummies per day, which may be too much for some people. Additionally, the orange flavor may not be to everyone's liking. Finally, the texture of the gummies may vary between batches, which can be a bit off-putting.
Overall, we would definitely recommend SmartyPants Prenatal Vitamins for women looking for a delicious and easy way to get all of the essential nutrients needed during pregnancy.
If you want to give your baby the best possible start in life, then One A Day Women’s Prenatal Advanced Complete Multivitamin with Brain Support* is the perfect choice. This product is specially formulated to support your baby's brain and cognitive development, as well as providing all the essential vitamins and minerals you need during pregnancy.
- This is the only prenatal multivitamin with an excellent source of Choline to help support baby's brain and spinal cord development.
- Excellent source of Folic Acid to help support baby's cognitive development.
- Includes 200mg of DHA, an important structural component of the brain.
- The pills are fairly large and may take some getting used to.
- The prenatal vitamin softgels have a strong fish oil smell and flavor that may be unpleasant for some.
- If you struggle to swallow pills or morning sickness is making you sensitive, you may want to look at another option.
We have been using One A Day Women’s Prenatal Advanced Complete Multivitamin with Brain Support* throughout our pregnancy, and we are very happy with the results. The multivitamin softgel and Choline tablet are easy to take, and we have noticed a real difference in our energy levels and overall health.
One of the things we love about this product is the excellent source of Choline. This nutrient is essential for your baby's brain and spinal cord development, and it can be difficult to get enough of it through diet alone. We also appreciate the high levels of Folic Acid and DHA, which are important for baby's cognitive development and brain structure.
While the pills may be a bit large, we found that they were easy to swallow with a glass of water. However, some people may find the fish oil smell and flavor of the prenatal vitamin softgels to be unpleasant. If you are sensitive to smells or have trouble swallowing pills, you may want to consider a different product.
Overall, we would highly recommend One A Day Women’s Prenatal Advanced Complete Multivitamin with Brain Support* to anyone looking for a high-quality prenatal vitamin. It provides all the essential nutrients you need during pregnancy, as well as advanced support for your baby's brain and cognitive development.
If you're looking for a prenatal vitamin that supports overall wellness and a healthy pregnancy, then OLLY Ultra Strength Essential Prenatal Folic Acid + DHA Softgels could be a great option for you.
- Provides essential nutrients needed for overall wellness and a healthy pregnancy.
- Contains Folic Acid that supports the growth and development of your little one.
- Has DHA that supports healthy brain and eye development for baby.
- You need to take two softgels daily with food and water.
- The softgels are quite large in size.
- May not be suitable for those who have allergies to fish.
We've tried OLLY Ultra Strength Essential Prenatal Folic Acid + DHA Softgels and found them to be gentle on the stomach. The softgels are naturally colored, easy to swallow, and have a hint of refreshing lemon and mint scent with zero sugar. The compact package makes it easy to carry around, and the 60 capsules per bottle provide a 30-day supply.
We love that this prenatal vitamin is packed with essential nutrients, including Folic Acid, Choline, and DHA, which are critical for the growth and development of the fetal brain and nervous system. The immune supportive nutrients like vitamins C and E help support overall health and wellness during pregnancy.
Overall, we highly recommend OLLY Ultra Strength Essential Prenatal Folic Acid + DHA Softgels for anyone looking for a prenatal vitamin that supports overall wellness and a healthy pregnancy.
We highly recommend Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin for expecting mothers who want to support their baby's development and their own health during pregnancy.
- Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin contains a high-potency source of zinc, which helps support immune health.
- This multivitamin is formulated with blends derived from fruits and vegetables, and contains probiotic digestive enzymes, which are great for gut health.
- Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin delivers clinically proven absorption of Vitamins D, B2, B5, folate, calcium, iron and zinc, which are essential for mom and baby's health.
- The pills are quite large and can be difficult to swallow, especially for those who have trouble swallowing pills.
- Some users may experience nausea if they take the pills on an empty stomach.
- The pills have a strong herbal scent and taste, which may be unpleasant for some users.
We have personally used Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin during our pregnancies and found them to be effective in providing the essential nutrients for both mom and baby. The high-potency source of zinc and the clinically proven absorption of essential vitamins and minerals make this multivitamin a great choice for expecting mothers who want to support their immune health and promote healthy fetal brain development. We also appreciate that this multivitamin is non-GMO and vegetarian, and is formulated without colors, flavors or sweeteners. Overall, Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin is a great choice for expecting mothers who want to support their health and their baby's development during pregnancy.
We highly recommend the Garden of Life Prenatal Multivitamin for expectant mothers. It is a comprehensive formula that supports pre-conception, pregnancy, and lactation. With over 20 fruits and veggies, it provides wholesome nutrients, including vitamins, antioxidants, and nutrient cofactors.
- The formula supports neural tube development with over 100 percent daily value of folate and 27mg of stomach-friendly iron for blood and reproductive health.
- It contains live probiotics and digestive enzymes that help support overall digestion and immunity for both mom and baby.
- The capsules are vegetarian and made from vegetable cellulose, and they can be easily opened and mixed with water or raw juice.
- The capsules may have a slightly unpleasant taste.
- Some users may experience mild digestive discomfort.
- The price point may be higher than other prenatal vitamins.
The Garden of Life Prenatal Multivitamin is a clean supplement that contains no synthetic binders, fillers, artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, or additives. It is Non-GMO Project Verified and certified Gluten-Free. The raw formula means that the vitamins are produced with no high heat, and the nutrients come with their natural cofactors, along with live probiotics and enzymes, just like raw foods.
In conclusion, if you're looking for a high-quality prenatal vitamin that supports both you and your baby's health, we highly recommend the Garden of Life Prenatal Multivitamin.
If you're looking for a prenatal vitamin that's gentle on your stomach and provides the nutrients you and your baby need, Thorne Basic Prenatal is worth considering.
- Provides active folate for optimal absorption
- Contains choline for fetal brain and neurological development
- Well-absorbed nutrients that are gentle on the stomach
- Capsules may be difficult to swallow for some
- More expensive than some other prenatal vitamins
- May not contain as much iron as some women need
We've been using Thorne Basic Prenatal for several months now, and we've been impressed with the quality of the ingredients and the gentle, effective formula. The active folate is a big plus, as it's the bioactive form of folate that's easier for your body to absorb. We also appreciate the inclusion of choline, which is an important nutrient for fetal brain and neurological development.
One thing to keep in mind is that the capsules may be difficult to swallow for some women, especially if you're dealing with morning sickness or other digestive issues. Additionally, Thorne Basic Prenatal is more expensive than some other prenatal vitamins on the market, so it may not be the best choice if you're on a tight budget.
Overall, we've been very happy with Thorne Basic Prenatal and would recommend it to other women who are looking for a high-quality, gentle prenatal vitamin. It's well-researched and contains a good balance of vitamins and minerals, without any unnecessary additives or fillers.
If you're looking for a prenatal vitamin to support your pregnancy, Pink Stork Total Prenatal with DHA is a great option.
- Contains 100% of 16 OBGYN-recommended nutrients and vitamins for pregnancy, including methylated Folate, Choline, Iron, Vitamin B6, methylated Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Biotin, Zinc, and omega-3 DHA.
- Helps prevent major birth defects and supports fetal brain development.
- Does not contain GMOs, gluten, soy, or dairy.
- Some users have reported a fishy odor and taste.
- May cause nausea or stomach upset in some users.
- Some users have reported that the pills are difficult to swallow.
We have been using Pink Stork Total Prenatal with DHA for a few weeks now and have been pleased with the results. The pills are small and easy to take, and we appreciate that they do not contain any unnecessary additives or allergens. We also like that they contain DHA and Folate, which are important for fetal development.
One potential downside is that some users have reported a fishy odor and taste. We have not experienced this ourselves, but it is something to keep in mind if you are sensitive to these types of smells. Additionally, some users have reported nausea or stomach upset after taking the pills, although we have not experienced this either.
Overall, we would recommend Pink Stork Total Prenatal with DHA to anyone looking for a high-quality prenatal vitamin. Just be aware of the potential side effects and make sure to consult with your doctor before starting any new supplement regimen.
We highly recommend Nature Made Prenatal Multivitamin with Folic Acid for pregnant women who want to ensure their baby's healthy development and their own good health.
- Contains Folic Acid and 17 other nutrients for baby's development and mom's health
- Gluten-free and contains no artificial flavors
- USP verified for quality you can trust
- Large tablets may be difficult to swallow for some
- May cause mild nausea or constipation in some users
- Does not contain DHA or omegas for brain development
We have used Nature Made Prenatal Multivitamin with Folic Acid during our pregnancy and found it to be effective in supporting our baby's brain, bone, eye, and nervous system development. The tablets are easy to take with water and a meal, and we appreciate that they are gluten-free and contain no artificial flavors.
However, we did experience some mild nausea and constipation while taking this supplement, which may not be suitable for everyone. Additionally, the tablets are quite large and may be difficult to swallow for some users.
Overall, we believe that Nature Made Prenatal Multivitamin with Folic Acid is a reliable and high-quality supplement for pregnant women looking to support their baby's healthy development and their own good health.
We highly recommend the Garden of Life Prenatal Vitamin for those looking for a high-quality prenatal vitamin that is made from whole foods and free from synthetic binders and fillers.
- Made from over 30 organic fruits, veggies, and herbs, providing natural whole food nutrition
- Contains 100% DV of folate from Organic Lemon Peel and vegan D3 from Lichen for healthy fetal development
- Easy-to-swallow tablets that dissolve in less than 30 minutes with Clean Tablet Technology™ for high bioavailability
- May cause constipation in some users due to the 18mg of non-constipating iron
- Tablets are relatively large and may be difficult to swallow for some people
- Some users may not like the taste of the tablets
We love that this prenatal vitamin is made from whole foods, making it easier for the body to recognize and absorb nutrients. The folate and vegan D3 are essential for healthy fetal development, while the B vitamins provide energy support for the mother. The Clean Tablet Technology™ ensures high bioavailability and easy digestion.
The only downside we found is that the iron may cause constipation in some users, and the tablets are relatively large and may be difficult to swallow for some people. However, overall, we highly recommend the Garden of Life Prenatal Vitamin for its high-quality ingredients and ease of use.
We highly recommend One A Day Women's Prenatal 1 Multivitamin for expecting mothers.
- Provides nutritional support before, during, and after pregnancy with key nutrients like folic acid, DHA, iron, and calcium all in one single soft gel.
- OBGYN recommended prenatal brand that is free of diary, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors, wheat, and dairy.
- Provides 100% of the daily value of folic acid and is gluten-free.
- Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery.
- Some customers have reported a strong fishy smell and taste upon opening the bottle.
- The pills are a bit large and may be difficult for some to swallow.
We found that One A Day Women's Prenatal 1 Multivitamin was effective in providing the necessary nutrients for a healthy pregnancy. The soft gel was easy to swallow and did not cause any digestive issues. We appreciated that it was gluten-free and free of artificial sweeteners, flavors, and dairy. However, we did notice a strong fishy smell and taste upon opening the bottle, which may be off-putting for some. We also recommend being available during the product delivery as exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of the product. Overall, we believe that One A Day Women's Prenatal 1 Multivitamin is a great choice for expecting mothers looking for a comprehensive prenatal vitamin.
When choosing the best prenatal vitamin, it's important to consider a few key features to ensure that you're getting the right product for you and your growing baby. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
The ingredients in your prenatal vitamin are crucial, so it's important to check the label carefully. Look for a product that contains at least 400 micrograms of folic acid, which can help prevent birth defects in your baby's brain and spine. Other important nutrients to look for include iron, calcium, and vitamin D.
Make sure to follow the recommended dosage on the label of your prenatal vitamin. Taking too much of certain vitamins and minerals can be harmful to you and your baby, so it's important to stick to the recommended amount.
Prenatal vitamins come in a variety of forms, including tablets, capsules, and gummies. Choose the form that works best for you and your lifestyle. Keep in mind that some forms may be easier to swallow or digest than others.
Prenatal vitamins can vary in price, so it's important to choose a product that fits within your budget. Keep in mind that a higher price doesn't always mean a better product, so be sure to compare labels and ingredients carefully.
Choose a reputable brand that you trust and that has a good reputation. Look for brands that have been around for a while and that have a history of producing high-quality products.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best prenatal vitamin for you and your baby. Remember to always consult with your healthcare provider before starting any new supplement regimen.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are some of the best prenatal vitamins with DHA?
Prenatal vitamins with DHA are essential for the healthy development of your baby's brain and eyes. Some of the best prenatal vitamins with DHA include Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA, Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal, and New Chapter Perfect Prenatal.
2. What are the most important vitamins for a healthy pregnancy?
There are several vitamins that are important for a healthy pregnancy. These include folic acid, iron, calcium, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids. Folic acid helps prevent birth defects, iron supports healthy blood flow, calcium helps build strong bones, vitamin D supports the immune system, and omega-3 fatty acids promote healthy brain development.
3. What are the best prenatal vitamins for hair growth?
While there is no specific prenatal vitamin that is designed for hair growth, many prenatal vitamins contain biotin and other nutrients that can help promote healthy hair growth. Some of the best prenatal vitamins for hair growth include Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal, Rainbow Light Prenatal One, and Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA.
4. What are the best prenatal vitamins for women with PCOS?
Women with PCOS may benefit from prenatal vitamins that contain higher levels of folic acid, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids. Some of the best prenatal vitamins for women with PCOS include Thorne Research Basic Prenatal, MegaFood Baby & Me 2, and Zahler Prenatal + DHA.
5. What are the best prenatal vitamins for twins?
Women carrying twins may require higher levels of certain nutrients, such as folic acid and iron. Some of the best prenatal vitamins for twins include Twinlab Pre-Natal Care, Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal, and Rainbow Light Prenatal One.
6. What are the most effective prenatal vitamins recommended by doctors?
There are several prenatal vitamins that are highly recommended by doctors. These include Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA, Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal, and New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. It is important to consult with your doctor to determine which prenatal vitamin is best for you and your baby.
The links provided may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you if you choose to purchase the recommended product. This support allows our research and editorial team to continue providing high-quality recommendations. As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising initiative, we are able to earn advertising fees through providing links to products on Amazon.com. Please rest assured that we only recommend high-quality products.