- Your Dry, Flaking Skin May Also be Known as:
- Flaky rash
- Flaky skin
- Skin flaking
Top 2 Dry, Flaking Skin Causes
1.Benign Skin Growth
Seborrheic keratosis is a condition that causes wart-like growths on the skin. The growths are benign (not-cancerous) and look like stuck-on plaques.
You do not need treatment for this condition because it is completely benign. However, if the lesion changes at all you should visit your physician.
- Top Symptoms:
- constant skin changes, itchy rash, rash with well-defined border, abdominal skin changes, neck skin changes
- Symptoms that always occur with benign skin growth:
- constant skin changes
- Symptoms that never occur with benign skin growth:
- cherry red lower leg bump
- Wait and watch
Dry, Flaking Skin Checker
Take a quiz to find out why you’re having dry, flaking skin.Take a quiz
2.Topical Steroid Withdrawal
Topical steroids are used for a variety of skin conditions, especially eczema (atopic dermatitis), but is frequently used in situations that are not approved by a physician. In these situations, there is a likelihood of "withdrawal", skin changes caused by heavy use of the steroids.
You should go see your primary care doctor to talk about stopping use of the steroid. Your doctor may prescribe a medication like antibiotics, antihistamines, or cool compresses to help heal along with testing the skin with what's called "patch testing."
- Primary care doctor
Questions Your Doctor May Ask About Dry, Flaking Skin
- Q.Any fever today or during the last week?
- Q.Is your rash:
- Q.Did you possibly brush into poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac?
- Q.Have you been feeling more tired than usual, lethargic or fatigued despite sleeping a normal amount?
If you've answered yes to one or more of these questions, check our dry, flaking skin symptom checker.Take a quiz
Dry, Flaking Skin Symptom Checker Statistics
People who have experienced dry, flaking skin have also experienced:
- 11% Dry Skin
- 6% Vaginal Itch or Burning
- 4% Facial Redness
People who have experienced dry, flaking skin had symptoms persist for:
- 35% Less Than a Day
- 25% Over a Month
- 23% Less Than a Week
People who have experienced dry, flaking skin were most often matched with:
- 4% Benign Skin Growth
Source: Aggregated and anonymized results from visits to the Buoy AI health assistant (check it out by clicking on “Take Quiz”).