- Your Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail May Also be Known as:
- Fingernail on the left thumb hurts
- Fingernail on the right thumb hurts
Top 3 Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail Causes
Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes itchy or sore patches of thick, red skin with silvery scales. The patches mostly affect the elbows, knees, scalp, back, face, palms and feet.
There are many over-the-counter creams that could help which you can first try to see if your symptoms get better. However, psoriasis is a diagnosis that should be made by a physician and might need longer term follow up.
- Top Symptoms:
- itchy rash, red or pink, rough patch of skin, rash with well-defined border, painful rash, scaly rash
- Symptoms that never occur with psoriasis:
- fever, black-colored skin changes, brown-colored skin changes, blue-colored skin changes
- Primary care doctor
Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail Checker
Take a quiz to find out why you’re having thumb pain near the fingernail.Take a quiz
2.Ringworm (Tinea Corporis)
Tinea Corporis is a common fungal infection of the skin. This rash is sometimes called "ringworm" and results in ring-shaped redness that is often itchy.
Ringworm can be treated with topical antifungal ointment such as Lamisil. Apply the ointment directly to the rash and the surrounding skin, and keep the area as dry as possible.
- Top Symptoms:
- dry skin, rash, red rash, itchy rash, curved rash
- Symptoms that never occur with ringworm (tinea corporis):
- groin skin changes, fever, scrotal itch, groin itch, facial skin changes, hand skin changes, genital skin changes
3.Non - Specific Dermatitis (Skin Inflammation)
Dermatitis is the inflammation ("-itis") of the skin ("derma" is a layer of the skin). It can be caused by any number of causes, from allergies to infections to autoimmune issues. Dermatitis of Normal Variation (also called, "NOS") means that all of those other causes of your rash have been ruled out. This is very common.
You can treat this at home and the rash should go away on its own. In the meantime, you can use an anti-histamine (both by mouth OR as an ointment), or a topical corticosteroid to treat the itch and/or pain due to the rash.
- Top Symptoms:
- red rash, itchy rash, painful rash
- Symptoms that always occur with non-specific dermatitis (skin inflammation):
- red rash
Questions Your Doctor May Ask About Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail
- Q.How severe is your thumb pain?
- Q.Is your thumb pain getting better or worse?
- Q.How long has your thumb been hurting?
- Q.Do you currently smoke?
If you've answered yes to one or more of these questions, check our thumb pain near the fingernail symptom checker.Take a quiz
Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail Symptom Checker Statistics
People who have experienced thumb pain near the fingernail have also experienced:
- 100% Joint Swelling
People who have experienced thumb pain near the fingernail had symptoms persist for:
- 30% Over a Month
- 27% Less Than a Week
- 18% Less Than a Day
People who have experienced thumb pain near the fingernail were most often matched with:
- 25% Psoriasis
- 25% Ringworm (Tinea Corporis)
- 25% Non - Specific Dermatitis (Skin Inflammation)