3 Potential Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail Causes
Disclaimer: The article does not replace an evaluation by a physician. Information on this page is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes.
Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes itchy or sore patches of thick, red skin with silvery scales. The patches mostly affect the elbows, knees, scalp, back, face, palms and feet.
Psoriasis is a chronic condition. Often flare-ups come and go. In some cases, psoriasis goes away over time.
- Top Symptoms:
- itchy rash, red or pink, rough patch of skin, rash with well-defined border, painful rash, scaly rash
- Symptoms that never occur with psoriasis:
- fever, black-colored skin changes, brown-colored skin changes, blue-colored skin changes
- Primary care doctor
Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail Checker
Take a quiz to find out why you’re having thumb pain near the fingernail.Take a quiz
2.Ringworm (Tinea Corporis)
Tinea Corporis is a common fungal infection of the skin. This rash is sometimes called "ringworm" and results in ring-shaped redness that is often itchy.
With treatment, the rash should resolve within 2-3 weeks
- Top Symptoms:
- dry skin, rash, red rash, itchy rash, curved rash
- Symptoms that never occur with ringworm (tinea corporis):
- groin skin changes, fever, scrotal itch, groin itch, facial skin changes, hand skin changes, genital skin changes
3.Non - Specific Dermatitis (Skin Inflammation)
Dermatitis is the inflammation ("-itis") of the skin ("derma" is a layer of the skin). It can be caused by any number of causes, from allergies to infections to autoimmune issues. Dermatitis of Normal Variation (also called, "NOS") means that all of those other causes of your rash have been ruled out. This is very common.
- Top Symptoms:
- red rash, itchy rash, painful rash
- Symptoms that always occur with non-specific dermatitis (skin inflammation):
- red rash
Questions Your Doctor May Ask About Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail
- Q.Which of the following describes your physical fitness:
- Q.Does this hand movement cause you pain? (This is known as Finkelstein test.)
- Q.About your [wrist], do you notice:
- Q.Let's examine your thumb a bit. What makes your thumb hurt worse?
If you've answered yes to one or more of these questions, try our thumb pain near the fingernail symptom checker to find out more.Take a quiz
Thumb Pain Near the Fingernail Symptom Checker Statistics
People who have experienced thumb pain near the fingernail have also experienced:
- 22% Thumb Pain
- 11% Fingernail Changes
- 5% Pain in One Thigh
People who have experienced thumb pain near the fingernail had symptoms persist for:
- 32% Less Than a Week
- 24% Over a Month
- 22% Less Than a Day
People who have experienced thumb pain near the fingernail were most often matched with:
- 1% Psoriasis
- 1% Ringworm (Tinea Corporis)
- 1% Non - Specific Dermatitis (Skin Inflammation)
Source: Aggregated and anonymized results from visits to the Buoy AI health assistant (check it out by clicking on “Take Quiz”).