Diarrhea Treatment Overview
First steps to consider
- Mild, occasional bouts of diarrhea can often be treated at home.
- OTC treatments like anti-diarrhea medications and fiber supplements can help relieve symptoms.
- Drink fluids to stay hydrated.
When you may need a provider
- You’ve had diarrhea for more than 24 hours.
- You have other symptoms like severe abdominal pain or blood or mucus in the diarrhea.
Go to the ER if you have signs of severe dehydration. These include:
- Extreme thirst
- Urinating less frequently or not urinating at all
- Not sweating
The suppliers listed follow Buoy’s clinical guidelines, but listing the suppliers does not constitute a referral or recommendation by Buoy. When you click on the link and/or engage with these services Buoy will be compensated.