Osteoarthritis Treatment Overview
First steps to consider
- Mild to moderate pain can be treated at home.
- Ice, OTC pain relievers, ACE wrapping, and gentle stretching and strengthening exercises help reduce stiffness and weakness.
When you may need a provider
- Pain is moderate to severe
- Home treatments are not helping with pain after about 4–8 weeks or your pain is interfering with everyday activities.
Go to the ER if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Severe joint swelling, redness, and warmth
- Severe pain when trying to move the joint
- Unable to put weight on the affected joint
The suppliers listed follow Buoy’s clinical guidelines, but listing the suppliers does not constitute a referral or recommendation by Buoy. When you click on the link and/or engage with these services Buoy will be compensated.