Skip to main content

Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment Overview

Find the right care and learn about different treatments.
Reviewed by Buoy's medical team
Learn how we choose treatments

Care Plan


First steps to consider

  • If you think you have rheumatoid arthritis (RA), you should see a healthcare provider to get a diagnosis and discuss a treatment plan.
  • RA can be treated with lifestyle changes, medication, or surgery.
See care providers

Emergency Care

Arrow Icon.

Go to the ER if you have any of the following symptoms, which may be signs of RA complications like infection or heart disease, or may be serious side effects of RA medications:

  • High fever with a rash
  • Chest pain
  • Trouble breathing
  • Severe and sudden stomach pain
  • Sudden spine pain

The suppliers listed follow Buoy’s clinical guidelines, but listing the suppliers does not constitute a referral or recommendation by Buoy. When you click on the link and/or engage with these services Buoy will be compensated.

Stethoscope Inside Circle.


All treatments for rheumatoid arthritis
Info Icon.
Read more about rheumatoid arthritis care options

When to see a healthcare provider

You should see a healthcare provider if you have symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA), which include warmth and redness of the joints and pain, swelling, and stiffness in the joints. RA is a progressive disease, so treating it early can slow or stop it from getting worse. RA can lead to serious complications, including disability, joint destruction, heart disease, and osteoporosis.

Getting diagnosed

There is no one test that can confirm you have RA. Your doctor will likely go over your medical history, symptoms, and check your joints for redness, warmth, and swelling. They may order blood tests that can show “markers” of RA, like inflammation levels in the body. They may order imaging tests, like X-rays or an MRI, to look for signs of joint damage.

What to expect from your doctor visit

  • Most people with RA take medication for it. The type of medication your doctor recommends is based on the severity of the disease, among other factors.
  • Antiinflammatory medications (NSAIDs) relieve pain and help control inflammation. Examples include celecoxib (Celebrex) and nabumetone (Relafen).
  • The disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) methotrexate (Trexall) is often the first medication your doctor will prescribe to slow down early-stage RA.
  • A newer class of DMARDs, called biologic agents or biologics, may be prescribed if conventional DMARDs aren’t effective. Examples include etanercept (Enbrel) and golimumab (Simponi).
  • Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitors are prescribed if DMARDs and biologics aren’t working.
  • Corticosteroids reduce pain and inflammation and can slow down joint damage. Steroids have serious side effects and are usually used temporarily, often while you’re waiting for other medications to work or if your symptoms flare up.
  • Your doctor may suggest physical therapy to help you regain joint strength and mobility.
  • Occupational therapy is helpful if RA is making it difficult to do everyday tasks, like household chores.
  • If these medications do not slow joint damage, surgery may be needed to repair damaged joints. Procedures include joint replacement, joint fusion, tendon repair, and synovectomy (removal of the inflamed joint lining).

Prescription rheumatoid arthritis medications

  • Antiinflammatories: celecoxib (Celebrex), ibuprofen (prescription strength), nabumetone (Relafen), naproxen (Naprosyn), naproxen sodium (Anaprox), piroxicam (Feldene)
  • DMARDs: methotrexate (Trexall), hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), sulfasalazine (Azulfidine), leflunomide (Arava)
  • Biologic agents: abatacept (Orencia), adalimumab (Humira), anakinra (Kineret), certolizumab (Cimzia), etanercept (Enbrel), golimumab (Simponi), infliximab (Remicade), rituximab (Rituxan), sarilumab (Kevzara), tocilizumab (Actemra)
  • Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitors: tofacitinib (Xeljanz), baricitinib (Olumiant), upadacitinib (Rinvoq)

Types of rheumatoid arthritis providers

  • A primary care provider can evaluate symptoms and refer you to a specialist if they think you may have RA.
  • A rheumatologist specializes in treating inflammatory (rheumatic) diseases, and diagnoses and treats RA.
  • A physical therapist can help increase your strength and range of motion.
  • An occupational therapist can teach you easier ways to do everyday activities.
  • If surgery is necessary, you’ll be referred to an orthopedic surgeon, who specializes in treating diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Showing results for
Meet Buoy's physicians and clinicians
Every treatment shown on this site is evaluated by our medical team and must pass Buoy's clinical review.
Learn how we choose treatments
FAQ Icon.


Frequently asked questions