Skin Abscess Treatment Overview
First steps to consider
- If you have symptoms of a skin abscess—a painful, red lump—see a healthcare provider to get treated. It can become a serious infection if not treated.
- A provider may drain the cyst (a procedure called “incision and drainage”) and prescribe antibiotics.
Go to the ER if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Crackling sensation felt under the skin
- Extreme pain
- Numbness by the lump
- Purplish-gray or black discoloration
- The abscess and surrounding skin become hot and red
- It spreads quickly
The suppliers listed follow Buoy’s clinical guidelines, but listing the suppliers does not constitute a referral or recommendation by Buoy. When you click on the link and/or engage with these services Buoy will be compensated.