Skip to main content

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Treatment Overview

Find the right care and learn about different treatments.
Reviewed by Buoy's medical team
Learn how we choose treatments

Care Plan


First steps to consider

  • If you have signs of thoracic outlet syndrome—numbness or tingling in your hand or arm, arm weakness when doing overhead activity, or swelling or discoloration in your arms—see a healthcare provider.
  • Thoracic outlet syndrome is usually treated with physical therapy, medication (to reduce pain), or surgery (to prevent damage to blood vessels).
See care providers

Symptom relief

Arrow Icon.
  • You can help relieve discomfort with lifestyle changes and home remedies like gentle massage.
  • Pain from one type of TOS, called neurogenic TOS, can be treated with OTC medication.
See home treatments

Emergency Care

Arrow Icon.

Go to the ER if you have any of the following symptoms:

  • Severe hand or arm pain
  • You can’t move your fingers or hand.
  • Your hand feels cold to the touch.

The suppliers listed follow Buoy’s clinical guidelines, but listing the suppliers does not constitute a referral or recommendation by Buoy. When you click on the link and/or engage with these services Buoy will be compensated.

Stethoscope Inside Circle.


All treatments for thoracic outlet syndrome
Info Icon.
Read more about thoracic outlet syndrome care options

When to see a healthcare provider

Always see a healthcare provider if you have signs of thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS). Depending on the type of TOS you have, symptoms may include pain in the upper arm, swollen and heavy arm that may be darker in color, or pain or numbness in the fingers and hand.

If untreated, TOS can lead to complications like blood clots, permanent pain and arm swelling, open sores on the fingers, gangrene (tissue death), and permanent nerve damage. There are three types of TOS and your treatment will vary depending on what type you have.

Getting diagnosed

TOS can be challenging to diagnose because it shares symptoms with many other conditions. It is diagnosed based on symptoms, a physical exam, and tests including:

  • Ultrasound to look for signs of vascular thoracic outlet syndrome or other vascular problems.
  • CT scan or MRI to determine the location and cause of blood vessel compression.
  • Chest X-ray to rule out other conditions.
  • Electromyography to check for nerve damage in the muscles.
  • Arteriography and venography, which can reveal a compressed vein or artery.
  • Brachial plexus block, which can help diagnose neurogenic TOS.

What to expect from your doctor visit

Neurogenic TOS

  • Physical therapy is usually the first treatment your provider will recommend. The therapist teaches you exercises that can help reduce pressure on the blood vessels and nerves in the thoracic outlet.
  • If physical therapy doesn’t help symptoms, Botox injections may be suggested to relieve pain.
  • If you have muscle tension and difficulty moving, your provider may prescribe muscle relaxants.
  • If these treatments don’t help, you may need surgery.

Venous TOS

  • Venous TOS usually is treated with surgery to remove a rib or certain muscles.
  • You may need a procedure called thrombolysis to remove a clot from the vein. Thrombolysis is typically done before surgery.
  • Blood thinners may be prescribed to thin or prevent clots.

Arterial TOS

  • Surgery is usually necessary to treat arterial TOS. A rib or muscles in the neck may be removed.
  • If you have an aneurysm in the artery or a blood clot, the artery may be reconstructed or replaced.
  • Blood thinners may be prescribed to treat clots.

Prescription thoracic outlet syndrome medications

  • Muscle relaxants: methocarbamol (Robaxin), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)
  • Blood thinners: warfarin (Coumadin), heparin, rivaroxaban (Xarelto), apixaban (Eliquis), fondaparinux (Arixtra)

Types of thoracic outlet syndrome providers

  • A primary care provider can evaluate symptoms of TOS.
  • A physical therapist can show you stretching and strengthening exercises to help with symptoms.
  • If TOS is suspected, you will likely be referred to a vascular medicine specialist, who specializes in treating arteries and veins.
  • You may be referred to a neurologist, who specializes in treating conditions of the nervous system, to rule out neurological conditions that cause TOS-like symptoms.
  • If surgery is needed, you’ll be referred to a thoracic (chest) surgeon or vascular (blood vessel) surgeon.
Showing results for
Meet Buoy's physicians and clinicians
Every treatment shown on this site is evaluated by our medical team and must pass Buoy's clinical review.
Learn how we choose treatments
FAQ Icon.


Frequently asked questions