Mike Gaspar, MD, MBA
Specialty in Orthapaedic Surgery
Dr. Gaspar is an orthopaedic surgeon-scientist with a subspecialty focus on upper extremity surgery. He graduated from the Cornell University (2006) with a B.S. in Biological Engineering before obtaining his medical degree from the Medical College of Virginia (2010). After completing his surgical internship at Loyola University Medical Center-Chicago (2011), Dr. Gaspar underwent further surgical training as an orthopaedic surgery resident at Albany Medical Center (2015), followed by an academic fellowship in hand and upper extremity surgery at Thomas Jefferson University’s Philadelphia Hand to Shoulder Center (PHSC), where he subsequently spent more than 5 years as the Director of Clinical Research and Undergraduate Medical Education. During that time, he also completed an executive M.B.A. from the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business (2019).
Dr. Gaspar has been awarded several research fellowships at institutions including PHSC, the Hand Rehabilitation Foundation, Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic and Hospital for Special Surgery, and has received funding from the NIH, NSF and Arthritis Foundation, as well as from industry. He has published over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, and has served as an ad hoc reviewer for 20 international medical journals. He was honored as a “Top Doctor Under 40” by the Pennsylvania State Medical Society in 2018 and named to their Opioid Task Force in 2020. He has also served as a consultant and advisor to the Philadelphia Eagles and the NFL Players Association.
Education and training
2017-2019 - MBA, University of Virginia Darden School of Business
2015-2016 - Academic Fellowship Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Philadelphia Hand to Shoulder Center, Thomas Jefferson University
2011-2015 - Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Albany Medical Center
2010-2011 - Surgery Internship, Loyola University Chicago
2006-2010 - MD, Medical College of Virginia
2002-2006 - BS (Bioengineering), Cornell University
Pennsylvania Medical Society Top Physician Under 40
1. Gaspar MP, Osterman MN, Shin EK, Osterman AL, Kane PM. Sleep Disturbance and Response to Surgical Decompression in Patients with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Prospective Randomized Pilot Comparison of Open versus Endoscopic Release. Acta Biomedica; 2019 Jan 22;90(1):92-96.
2. Gaspar MP, Pflug EM, Adams AJ, Jacoby SM, Shin EK, Osterman AL, Kane PM. Self-Reported Postoperative Opioid-Prescribing Practices Following Commonly-Performed Orthopaedic Hand and Wrist Surgeries: A Nationwide Survey of Attending Surgeons and Trainees. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery; 2018 Oct 3;100(19):e127. doi:10.2106/JBJS.17.01163.
3. Gaspar MP, Kearns KA, Culp RW, Osterman AL, Kane PM. Single- versus double-bundle suture button reconstruction of the forearm interosseous membrane for the chronic Essex-Lopresti lesion. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology. 2018 Apr;28(3):409-413.
4. Gaspar MP, Adams JE, Zohn RC, Jacoby SM, Culp RW, Osterman AL Kane PM. Late Reconstruction of the Interosseous Membrane with Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Graft for Chronic Essex-Lopresti Injuries: Outcomes with a Mean Follow-up of Over 10 Years. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery; 2018 Mar 7;100(5):416-427.
5. Gaspar MP, Pham PP, Pankiw CD, Jacoby SM, Shin EK, Osterman AL, Kane PM. Mid-term outcomes of routine proximal row carpectomy compared with proximal row carpectomy with dorsal capsular interposition arthroplasty for the treatment of late- stage arthropathy of the wrist. Bone and Joint Journal; 2018 Feb; 100-B(2):197–204.
6. Gaspar MP, Lewis S, Motto MA, Jacoby SM, Culp RW, Osterman AL, Kane PM. Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection with Percutaneous Needling for Recalcitrant Lateral Epicondylitis: Comparison of Tenotomy and Fenestration Techniques. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine; 2017 Dec 6;5(12). doi: 10.1177/2325967117742077. eCollection 2017 Dec.
7. Gaspar MP, Jacoby SM, Marchetto PA, DeLuca PF, Culp RW. Osteochondral Autograft Transplantation for Proximal Lunate Articular Defects. Journal of Wrist Surgery; 2017 Nov; 6(4):329-333.
8. Gaspar MP, Wilbur DM, Stern PJ, Culp RW. Modified Long Toe Extensor Tendon Harvest for Use as Intercalary Graft in Upper Extremity Reconstruction. Journal of Hand Surgery; 2017 Mar; 42(3):e209-e213.
9. Gaspar MP, Kho JY, Kane PM, Abdelfattah HM, Culp RW. Orthogonal Plating with Corrective Osteotomy for Treatment of Distal Radius Fracture Malunion. Journal of Hand Surgery; 2017 Jan; 42(1):e1-e10.
10. Gaspar MP, Abdelfattah H, Welch IW, Vosbikian MM, Kane PM, Rekant MS. Recurrent cubital tunnel syndrome treated with revision neurolysis and amniotic membrane nerve wrapping. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery; 2016 Dec; 25(12):2057- 2065.
11. Gaspar MP, Kane PM, Jacoby SM, Gaspar PS, Osterman AL. Evaluation and Management of Sleep Disorders in the Hand Surgery Patient. Journal of Hand Surgery; 2016 Oct; 41(10):1019-1026.
12. Gaspar MP, Gaspar JP, Kane PM. The Joint-Gut Axis: Exploring the Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Manifestations of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases; 2016 Sep; 74(3):185-192.
13. Gaspar MP, Kane PM, Honik GB, Jacoby SM, Shin EK, Osterman AL. Geographic and Age-Based Discrepancies in Medicare Reimbursement Among ASSH Members. HAND. 2016 Sep; 11(3):347-352.
14. Gaspar MP, Kane PM, Jacoby SM, Osterman AL. Risk factors predicting revision surgery after medial epicondylectomy for primary cubital tunnel syndrome. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery; 2016 Apr; 25(4):681-687.
15. Gaspar MP, Kane PM, Zohn RC, Buckley TB, Jacoby SM, Shin EK. Variables Prognostic for Delayed Union and Nonunion Following Ulnar Shortening fixed with a Dedicated Osteotomy Plate. Journal of Hand Surgery. 2016 Feb; 41(2):237-243.e2.