Top 7 Best Folate Supplements for Pregnancy
UpdatedFebruary 22, 2024
Folate, also known as vitamin B9, is an essential nutrient for pregnant women. It plays a crucial role in fetal development, including brain and spinal cord formation. However, many women do not get enough folate from their diets alone, making supplements a popular choice.
When it comes to choosing the best folate supplement for pregnancy, there are a few critical things to consider. First and foremost, it's essential to choose a supplement that contains the active form of folate, known as L-methylfolate. This form is more easily absorbed by the body and can be especially beneficial for women with a genetic mutation that affects folate metabolism.
Another important factor to consider is the dosage. The recommended daily intake of folate for pregnant women is 600-800 micrograms, so it's crucial to choose a supplement that provides this amount. Additionally, it's essential to choose a reputable brand and look for third-party testing to ensure the product's quality and purity.
We spent countless hours researching and testing various folate supplements to identify the best options for pregnant women. In the following sections, we'll share our top picks and provide a detailed breakdown of each product's features and benefits.
Top 3 Best Folate Supplements for Pregnancy
- Pink Stork Folate
- Thorne Basic Prenatal - Well-Researched Folate Multi for Pregnant and Nursing Women
- Nature's Nutrition Folic Acid Gummies
As we all know, pregnancy is a crucial time for both the mother and the baby. Ensuring that the mother receives the right amount of nutrients is essential for the baby's healthy development. Folate is one such nutrient that plays a crucial role in the development of the baby's brain and spinal cord. However, it can be challenging to get the required amount of folate from food alone, which is where folate supplements come in. In this article, we have compiled a list of the best folate supplements for pregnancy to help you make an informed decision.
The Editor's Choice
Pink Stork Folate, personally tried and trusted, stands out as a clean, women-focused product. Formulated by female experts and third-party tested, it's GMO, gluten, soy, and dairy-free. It's a reliable choice for folate supplementation during pregnancy and beyond.
If you're looking for a folate supplement for pregnancy, we highly recommend Pink Stork Folate. It's a clean, vegetarian, and effective supplement that supports prenatal health and can help with healthy cell formation, energy, metabolism, mood, and hair growth.
- Methylated Folate: Pink Stork Folate features methylated folate, the natural form of vitamin B9 that's easier to absorb and utilize than folic acid. This is especially important if you have the genetic mutation MTHFR, which affects one in three adults.
- Pregnancy Must-Have: Folate is essential for the development of a baby's brain and spine, and helps reduce neural tube defects. OBGYNs recommend a folate supplement for all women, especially while trying to conceive. Pink Stork Folate is a must-have for your fertility support ritual.
- Women's Daily Vitamin: Folate is not just for prenatal health - it can help your body make healthy cells, turn food into energy, and support metabolism, mood health, and hair growth. B vitamins are essential for women's health.
- Only 60 Capsules: Pink Stork Folate comes in a bottle of 60 capsules, which may not be enough for some users who prefer to buy in bulk.
- Price: Compared to other folate supplements, Pink Stork Folate is slightly more expensive. However, the quality and effectiveness of the product make it worth the investment.
- ScentCert: While the heart-shaped ScentCert included in each bottle is a nice touch, some users may find it unnecessary or even off-putting.
We've personally used Pink Stork Folate and have had positive experiences with it. It's a clean and trustworthy product that's formulated by a female team of experts and third-party tested for your satisfaction. We appreciate that it's free of GMOs, gluten, soy, and dairy, and that the company is women-owned and women-run.
If you're looking for a high-quality folate supplement for pregnancy and beyond, give Pink Stork Folate a try.
If you're looking for a high-quality prenatal supplement, Thorne Basic Prenatal is definitely worth considering.
- Provides active folate for optimal absorption, which is essential for brain and spinal cord development.
- Contains choline, an important nutrient for fetal brain and neurological development.
- Gentle on the stomach and doesn't cause morning sickness.
- More expensive than other brands.
- Has an unpleasant smell.
- Can't be taken on an empty stomach.
We found Thorne Basic Prenatal to be one of the best prenatal supplements available on the market today. The active folate and choline make it stand out from the competition, and the fact that it's gentle on the stomach is a huge plus.
One thing to keep in mind is that Thorne Basic Prenatal is more expensive than other brands. However, we believe that the quality of the product justifies the higher price tag.
Another potential downside is that the supplement has an unpleasant smell. However, since it's contained in a capsule, you won't actually taste or smell it when you take it.
Finally, it's worth noting that Thorne Basic Prenatal should be taken with food and can't be taken on an empty stomach. This may be inconvenient for some users, but it's a small price to pay for a high-quality prenatal supplement.
Overall, we highly recommend Thorne Basic Prenatal to anyone looking for a top-notch prenatal supplement.
We highly recommend Nature's Nutrition Folic Acid Gummies for pregnant women looking for a tasty and convenient way to supplement their folic acid intake.
- Each gummy contains 785mcg of folic acid and comes in delicious cherry, orange, and grape flavors.
- It is suggested to take a folic acid supplement a few months before getting pregnant to prepare the body for pregnancy, and these gummies are a great option.
- Every batch of Nature's Nutrition Folic Acid Gummies is third-party certified for quality by an experienced dietary supplement lab.
- The gummies may be too sweet for some individuals.
- The recommended serving size is two gummies per day, which may be difficult for some to remember to take regularly.
- The gummies contain sugar and corn syrup, which may not be ideal for those with dietary restrictions.
We loved using Nature's Nutrition Folic Acid Gummies during our pregnancy. The flavors were enjoyable and made taking our daily folic acid supplement a treat. Plus, knowing that each batch is third-party certified gave us peace of mind about the quality of the product.
The suggested serving size of two gummies per day was easy to remember and we didn't experience any negative side effects from taking them regularly. However, we do recognize that the sweetness of the gummies may not be to everyone's liking and the inclusion of sugar and corn syrup may not be ideal for some individuals with dietary restrictions.
Overall, we highly recommend Nature's Nutrition Folic Acid Gummies for pregnant women looking for a tasty and convenient way to supplement their folic acid intake.
If you're looking for a reliable folate supplement for pregnancy, Bluebonnet Nutrition Folic Acid 400 mcg Capsules are worth considering.
- Pure folate in crystalline form
- Easy-to-swallow vegetable capsules
- Free of allergens and suitable for vegans
- Low dosage compared to other supplements
- May not be effective for everyone
- Some users reported a strong odor
We've been using Bluebonnet Nutrition Folic Acid 400 mcg Capsules for a few weeks now, and we're happy with the results. The capsules are easy to swallow, and we haven't experienced any side effects. We appreciate that they're free of allergens and suitable for vegans.
One of the main advantages of this supplement is that it contains pure folate in crystalline form, which is highly bioavailable and easily absorbed by the body. This is important for pregnant women, as folate plays a crucial role in healthy neurological development of the fetus.
However, it's worth noting that the dosage of this supplement is relatively low compared to other products on the market. While 400 mcg may be sufficient for some women, others may require a higher dosage to meet their nutritional needs. Additionally, some users reported a strong odor, which may be off-putting to some.
Overall, we recommend Bluebonnet Nutrition Folic Acid 400 mcg Capsules for anyone looking for a reliable folate supplement for pregnancy. However, if you require a higher dosage or are sensitive to strong odors, you may want to consider other options.
If you want a highly bioavailable and superior methylfolate supplement specifically formulated for pregnant and lactating mothers, Mama's Select Methylfolate MTHFR Folate is the way to go.
- This supplement is made with 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate Calcium L-5 (6S), the highest quality, superior Methylfolate formula on the market.
- Mama's Select Methylfolate MTHFR Folate supports fetal development, including brain development, healthy cell growth, and spinal development.
- It includes absolutely no maltodextrin, corn syrup solids, fillers, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- This supplement is only available in capsule form, which may be difficult to swallow for some people.
- Mama's Select Methylfolate MTHFR Folate may not be suitable for people with certain medical conditions or those taking certain medications.
- Some people may experience mild side effects such as nausea or upset stomach.
We've been using Mama's Select Methylfolate MTHFR Folate for a few weeks now, and we're impressed with the quality of this supplement. We appreciate that it's specifically formulated for pregnant and lactating mothers, and we feel confident that we're getting the highest quality methylfolate available.
One thing we really like about this supplement is that it's made without any fillers or GMOs. We feel good about putting this supplement into our bodies and know that we're not ingesting any unnecessary or harmful ingredients.
Another great thing about Mama's Select Methylfolate MTHFR Folate is that it supports fetal development, including brain development, healthy cell growth, and spinal development. We feel good knowing that we're providing our growing baby with the nutrients they need to develop properly.
Overall, we highly recommend Mama's Select Methylfolate MTHFR Folate for anyone looking for a high-quality methylfolate supplement for pregnancy and lactation.
We highly recommend the Thorne 5-MTHF 5mg Supplement for anyone looking for a high-quality folate supplement for pregnancy.
- Provides active folate for healthy methylation
- Supports a healthy outlook
- Supports healthy blood vessel and nerve function
- May not be suitable for those with certain medical conditions
- May cause mild side effects such as nausea or stomach upset
- May be more expensive than other folate supplements
We were impressed with the Thorne 5-MTHF 5mg Supplement's ability to provide active folate for healthy methylation, which is important for fetal development and overall health. Additionally, we appreciated the supplement's ability to support a healthy outlook and healthy blood vessel and nerve function.
While the Thorne 5-MTHF 5mg Supplement is generally well-tolerated, it may not be suitable for those with certain medical conditions. Additionally, some users may experience mild side effects such as nausea or stomach upset. Finally, the supplement may be more expensive than other folate supplements on the market.
Overall, we believe that the Thorne 5-MTHF 5mg Supplement is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a high-quality folate supplement for pregnancy.
If you're looking for a high-quality folate supplement for pregnancy, we highly recommend the One Elevated Folate Supplement.
- This supplement is lab-tested and provides essential support for DNA and neurotransmitter synthesis, as well as amino acid metabolism.
- It's developed to be optimally absorbed and bioavailable, making it highly effective.
- The One Elevated Folate Supplement delivers key supplementation for brain, heart, and nerve function, as well as support for women who are pregnant and overall health.
- Some users have reported allergic reactions to this supplement.
- It may not work well for individuals with certain genetic mutations.
- The price point may be higher than other folate supplements on the market.
We've been using the One Elevated Folate Supplement for several months now and have noticed a significant improvement in our overall health and wellbeing. We appreciate that it's suitable for people with MTHFR mutations and that it's manufactured in a fully GMP-certified facility. The third-party testing also assures us of the quality and purity of each batch.
One of the standout features of this supplement is its high bioavailability. We've noticed a significant improvement in our energy levels and overall mood since starting to take this supplement. It's also great to know that it's providing essential support for our DNA and neurotransmitter synthesis, as well as amino acid metabolism.
While we haven't experienced any negative side effects from this supplement, we do want to note that some users have reported allergic reactions. Additionally, it may not be as effective for individuals with certain genetic mutations. Finally, the price point may be higher than other folate supplements on the market.
Overall, we highly recommend the One Elevated Folate Supplement for anyone looking for a high-quality, effective folate supplement for pregnancy and overall health.
When choosing a folate supplement for pregnancy, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you are getting the best product for you and your baby. Here are some features to look out for:
The recommended daily intake of folate during pregnancy is 600-800 mcg. It is important to choose a supplement that provides this amount of folate in a single serving. Some supplements may require multiple servings to reach the recommended dosage, so be sure to read the label carefully.
Folate supplements come in different forms, including tablets, capsules, and gummies. Choose a form that is easy for you to take and digest. If you have trouble swallowing pills, gummies or chewable tablets may be a better option.
Look for a supplement that contains only folate and other essential vitamins and minerals. Avoid supplements that contain unnecessary fillers, additives, or preservatives.
Choose a supplement from a reputable brand that follows Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and has been tested for purity and potency by a third-party laboratory. This ensures that you are getting a safe and effective product.
Folate supplements can vary in price, but a higher price does not necessarily mean better quality. Compare prices and choose a supplement that fits your budget while still meeting the recommended dosage and quality standards.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best folate supplement for your pregnancy needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some recommended prenatal vitamins for women planning to conceive?
We recommend that women planning to conceive take prenatal vitamins that contain at least 400-800 mcg of folic acid. Some popular brands include Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA, Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal, and New Chapter Perfect Prenatal.
What are the benefits of taking folate during pregnancy?
Taking folate during pregnancy can help prevent birth defects in the baby's brain and spine, such as spina bifida. Folate also helps with the formation of red blood cells and supports the healthy growth and development of the fetus.
What are the potential risks of taking certain prenatal vitamins?
Taking too much of certain vitamins, such as vitamin A, can be harmful to the fetus. It's important to choose a prenatal vitamin that contains safe levels of all essential nutrients, and to avoid taking additional supplements without consulting a healthcare provider.
What are some alternative sources of folate for pregnant women?
Folate can be found in many foods, including leafy green vegetables, citrus fruits, beans, and fortified cereals. However, it can be difficult to get enough folate from diet alone, which is why prenatal vitamins are recommended.
Are there any prenatal vitamins to avoid during pregnancy?
Prenatal vitamins that contain high levels of vitamin A, vitamin E, or iron should be avoided, as they can be harmful to the fetus. It's important to choose a prenatal vitamin that contains safe levels of all essential nutrients, and to consult a healthcare provider before taking any additional supplements.
What are some highly rated prenatal vitamins on the market?
Some highly rated prenatal vitamins include Rainbow Light Prenatal One, Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA, and Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal. It's important to choose a prenatal vitamin that meets your individual needs and to consult a healthcare provider before starting any new supplement regimen.
The links provided may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you if you choose to purchase the recommended product. This support allows our research and editorial team to continue providing high-quality recommendations. As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising initiative, we are able to earn advertising fees through providing links to products on Amazon.com. Please rest assured that we only recommend high-quality products.